Configure your FireWall Port to work with Symantec AntiVirus
Open the following ports to enable Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition and LiveUpdate to work correctly:
- UDP port 38293 — Intel PDS listening for ping packets
- UDP port 2967 — RTVScan request to Winsock
- TCP ports — 80, 21, 443 - LiveUpdate
Which ports are used for communication in Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8.x?
Intel PDS Service
A Windows NT/2000/XP computer running Symantec AV runs the Intel PDS Service. Intel PDS listens for ping packets from servers. It responds with a pong packet containing information on how to communicate with RTVScan. Intel PDS listens on port 38293/UDP for ping packets. This value cannot be configured.
RTVScan makes a request to Winsock for port 2967/UDP for IP and port 33345 for IPX. These values can be configured by using the following registry keys:
If the request for the static port fails, then RTVScan will use a dynamic port. This port will be assigned by Winsock on that server and can be different each time that you request a port.
Msgsys is an Alert Management System (AMS) process for generating and sending configured AMS alerts. Msgsys communications uses port 38037 and 38292 for both TCP and UDP communication.
- LiveUpdate requires access to ports 80 (HTTP), 21 (FTP) and 443 (HTTPS).
- The protocol used is TCP.
- The file that accesses the Internet is Lucomserver.exe. By default, that file is located in C:Program FilesSymantecLiveUpdate.
- The domains that LiveUpdate accesses are:
o HTTP: symantec.com, symantecliveupdate.com, and akamai.net.
o FTP: speedera.net
If you liked this post, subscribe to Wpdesigner's RSS feed.
Filed under: Windows XP